Crikvenica

Old Crikvenica is considered the Kotor settlement, located on the top of a nearby hill. The oldest material traces of man's life left the Illyrian population, and from the Romans remained the name Ad turres, which the Croatians transposed into these regions as Kod tor (at the towers).
It was a large settlement with parish church and five smaller churches. In 1776 a severe fire destroyed the entire Kotor. The parish priest and part of the church values ​​found refuge in the Pavlinska monastery in Crikvenica. The majority of the population moved closer to the sea, and after the fire in Kotor, only a few families returned. Today he is ruined and abandoned.
The history of Crikvenica is linked to and conditioned by the history of the neighboring fertile valley Vinodol. From this large green cradle, settlements along the coast have grown over the centuries, first as a commercial port, and then as fishing resorts and especially towns and tourist places.
The naturally protected coves provided shelter to Roman merchant ships, and one of these safe harbors was once housed in the waterfront, wide mouth of the Crikvenica river Dubračine. Only the superficial archeological assessments of the discovered findings suggest that the port and settlement are at least 2000 years old.